18th of August, the day following the Barcelona Attack
- Police are raiding a property in Ripoll connected to the suspects in the town north of Catalonia where two arrests have already been made.
- UK authorities are urgently looking into reports of a missing British child. The Prime Minister said she believed a number of British people have been caught up in the attack. She said the missing boy had dual-nationality (English and Australian). He is still missing as of now. The British Government are working in conjunction with the Spanish and Australian governments to help in the search.
- The mayor of San Hipolito de Voltrega, Xavier Vilanova, has announced that a 75 year old resident of the neighbouring town and her daughter were in Las Ramblas at the time of the attack. The daughter, Elisabeth, has a fracture to her head but she is stable and still in hospital.
- The two attacks have caused 126 wounded in total. 61 people have been discharged from hospital by now, with 65 people still hospitalised. Of the 61 people admitted in Barcelona, 17 are critical, 25 are serious, 11 less serious and 12 minor. Of the four people admitted to Cambrils, three with serious injuries and one less serious.
- Catalonia’s Police Chief says there is reason to believe that far bigger attacks had been planned by the group before they were apprehended, but an explosion in an apartment on Wednesday had wasted their resources, forcing a smaller attack to be carried out instead
- US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson confirms that one American victim has been identified
- It has been revealed that the suspected driver of the van in La Rambla may have been one of the 5 men killed in a shootout in Cambrils, but this is as yet unconfirmed. 3 of the 5 suspects have been identified so far.
- The Catalan Police force have reopened the roads. Public transport has resumed and all metro stations have reopened in the surrounding area
- Barcelona has “sent a very clear message to the terrorists”, says the Catalonian President Carles Puigdemont.
Mr Puigdemont, said: “We woke up concerned, but also determined to win – to win this battle against terrorism, doing it in the best ways our society has: solidarity, freedom and respect.”
Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said terrorism was a “global battle”.
“It is not only against us, it is against all those that defend democracy, freedom and human rights,” he said.
On Saturday, Mr Rajoy said he will go to Madrid to decide whether the country’s terror threat level – which is currently at level 4 – should be increased as a result of the attacks
- The Queen of England has released a statement sending her thoughts to those affected, saying “it is deeply upsetting when innocent people are put at risk in this way when going about their daily lives. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have lost loved ones and the people who are recovering in hospital. Please convey our heartfelt sympathies to all who have been affected by these appalling incidents.”
- Spanish Media have named the suspect of the killings as 18-year old Moussa Oubakir, who is suspected of stealing his brothers’ documents to rent the van that ran through the popular tourist street
- La Rambla – 34 nationalities have suffered injuries or loss of life, with 14 dead and 100 injured in total. 26 French are injured, 11 in serious condition. 2 Catalans from Rubi and 3 Italians are injured. 3 Germans and 1 Belgian have been killed, with 15 other Belgian tourists in critical condition. 3 Australians were injured and 1 seven year old boy from Australia (now identified as Julian Cadman) is missing with his mother in serious condition.
- In Cambrills, 5 people in a car wearing fake suicide belts tried to unsuccessfully evade police control before 4 of them were killed in a police shooting, the remaining man died of his injuries later in hospital.
- Spain is on level 4 out of 5 for terror attacks.
A man ran past a police control Sant Just Desvern and it is thought that this could be the target of the current police man hunt. This suspect is thought to be 17 year old Moussa Oukabir.
Mossos are asking for anyone with more information to call or email them
If you are worried about relatives please call +34 900 400 012 for more information.
A minutes’ silence was held across Spain at Midday, followed by spontaneous cheers and chants of ‘Viva Barcelona’. A memorial took place in Placa de Catalunya attended by the King of Spain, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, Catalan President Carlos Puigdemont and Mayor of Barcelona Ada Calau. The French foreign minister visited today to give condolences, among other foreign dignitaries.
Hospital in Barcelona are in urgent need of translators due to the different nationalities involved. If you can help or know someone who can, please contact them as soon as possible:
– Hospital Vall d’Hebron 934 893 000
– Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau 932 909 100 / 932 919 000
– Hospital Clínic de Barcelona 932 275 400
– Hospital del Mar 932 483 000
– Hospital Sant Joan de Déu 932 532 100
– Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge 932 607 500
People have started to honour the victims by laying flowers, candles, and other items at the site of the attack, singing John Lennon’s ‘Imagine’.
We will update with more information once we receive it.